Brightly colored and flavor-packed tomatoes make this recipe one to make over and over again. Spaghetti sauce from the jar is by no means looked down upon, but the freshness found in homemade tomato sauce is unsurpassable! Do you have a garden right now? Are you growing tomatoes? Do you have a good go-to recipe to make when an abundance of them turn red? Well look no further, this recipe is perfect for using up all of those fresh, garden tomatoes!
Thanks to Cohl’s green thumb we have a wonderful garden growing in our backyard. He set up quite the contraption throughout the winter to help keep our plants nice and climate-controlled. Surprisingly, he was able to keep two cherry tomato plants alive. I have never seen tomato plants so huge!! They are literally 8 feet tall right now. You know you have a huge plant when you have to get a ladder to pick the tomatoes towards the top!
So many tomatoes are coming in all at the same time. We can’t seem to pick them fast enough! Last week I was scratching my head trying to come up with something to make with all of them. Salsa… been there done that. Homemade spaghetti sauce?! Now that sounds perfect.
Pomodoro Sauce vs. Marinara SauceFrom what I know, Pomodoro sauce is made with a few ingredients, is simmered longer and the tomatoes are not quite as chunky as those found in a classic marinara sauce. The main difference that stands out to me is that it tastes fresh. It is usually made with fresh tomatoes (not canned tomatoes), garlic, olive oil and fresh basil and is not overly complicated with too many ingredients.
This Pomodoro Sauce is on the table in under 30 minutes. If you don’t happen to have a garden full of tomatoes, that’s OK. I tried this recipe out with a certain type of tomato called Campari tomatoes. They are full of flavor and worked wonderfully in the recipe, too. Feel free to experiment with whatever kind of tomatoes you have available. Just remember, the more flavorful the tomato–the better the Pomodoro sauce. Hope you have a wonderful Summer Harvest season!
Spaghetti with Pomodoro Sauce
Spaghetti with homemade Pomodoro sauce is a quick and easy weeknight Italian dinner recipe!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Calories 136 kcal
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 5 c tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar* optional
- 2 Tbsp basil fresh, cut into thin strips
- Salt to taste
- Parmesan Cheese* optional
- In a medium pot sauté olive oil and garlic over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, or until garlic is a golden brown. Make sure to stir constantly to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add tomatoes and salt. Keep sauce over medium heat and sauté for 15 minutes. Stir often.
- During the last 5 minutes, start crushing the tomatoes with the back of your spoon. Do this until all tomatoes are completely crushed.
- Stir in basil and salt to taste (about 1 teaspoon.) Reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with spaghetti, extra basil and fresh Parmesan. Enjoy!
Recipe Notes*Can use vegan cheese.
Spaghetti with Pomodoro Sauce
Amount Per Serving
Calories 136 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10g 15%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Sodium 10mg 0%
Potassium 456mg 13%
Total Carbohydrates 9g 3%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 1g 2%
Vitamin A 32.4%
Vitamin C 32.6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.